One of my favorites is a Monte Cristo sandwich... you know the one: grilled cheese with ham/turkey that is prepared like French toast. What's not to like?! Now let's take it one step further and throw it all together in a waffle maker. What do you get? Ooey-gooey, cheesy, meaty, french-toasty waffles! Yum!
Ingredients (2 sandwiches)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar
- 4 slices of white wheat bread
- 4 thin slices of Swiss cheese
- 1/4lb of chipped honey ham
- 1/4lb of chipped bistro turkey
- Preheat waffle press on Med-Low heat
- Beat eggs, milk, and cinnamon sugar together in a shallow bowl
- Assemble sandwiches: 1 slice of bread, 1 slice of cheese, 1/8lb of ham, 1/8lb of turkey, 2nd slice of cheese, 1 slice of bread.
- Place sandwich in egg mixture and allow it to soak for at least 30 seconds
- Flip sandwiches in egg mixture and let soak for another 30 seconds. (You want the sandwiches to be soggy all the way through)
- Be on the safe side and spray your waffle press with nonstick spray
- Drop sandwiches carefully into the press and close it securely.
- After about 1-2 minutes the sandwiches will be cooked through and ready to enjoy
- Remove carefully from the press (and be sure not to burn yourself from the steam.... whoops!)
- Serve fresh out of the waffle maker
If your mouth is watering, you should consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect for other recipes and simple tutorials that are sure to tickle your fancy. Also, did you know we have a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun.
I'm linking to: